Crabs(large) (Approximately 5 lbs) – 2 nos
Red onion(medium) – 3 nos
Ginger(chopped) – 2” piece
Garlic pods(chopped) – 5 nos
Chilly powder – 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¾ tsp
Tamarind paste dissolved in 1 cup hot water – 1 ½ tsp
Fenugreek powder – ½ tsp
Salt – As reqd
Water – 1 cup
Curry leaves – A few
Oil – 5 tbsp
For cleaning the crabs:
1) Wash the crab well. Ensure that all dirt from the shell is removed. Wash it with a bristle scrubber if required. 2) Remove legs and claws and break each into two and crack the bigger pieces – this will help the spices to get to the meat easily.3) Remove the top shell and discard.
4) Clean the meat that is in the bottom shell. 5) Pull out and discard all the brown/ash color ‘ligament’ parts. 6) Clean the meat well by removing all the yellow/brown gooey stuff.
7) Cut each into four pieces.
For making Crab piralan:
1) Heat oil on a medium high heat in a pan.
2) Put in curry leaves and stir. 3) Add ginger and garlic and sauté.
4) When it is light brown, add sliced onion and sauté till golden.
5) Reduce heat to medium and add chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and fenugreek powder and roast well. 6) Add the tamarind mixture and mix well.
7) Raise heat to medium high and add the water and bring to a boil.
8) Add salt and mix well. 9) Add the crab pieces and mix well.
10) Cook covered, mixing occasionally. Cook for about 15 minutes, remove cover and cook until the gravy is thick enough to coat the crab.
210 total views, 1 today